Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rat Rod Part Deux - The birth of a dedicated track car


To take a cue from Aaron, and the changes he made to his Cayman S, I decided to start tearing apart my 2004 M3 to build safer, lighter, faster track car, and make it almost undriveable on public roads


After 4 years of using it as a daily driver / track car, I thought that I should get serious an build out a more single purpose car. This is phase one, where I added Cobra Seats, Schroth Harnesses, a custom Fall-line Motorsports half-cage, and a Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber roof.



 I bought a 335xi as a daily driver, added a hitch and a brake controller to my wife's V8 Touareg, and called Fall Line Motorsports. Attached are some pics of the process and the end result.






Interior out, Sunroof Gone, Half-cage welded in.


Seats fitted, waiting for Carbon Fiber Vorsteiner roof. 

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Very nice... I still havent seen this thing in person.

What's next? Maybe take the cats off and put a real exhaust on now that you are "off road"? I've thought about doing that to the Cayman next...

thehounder said...

Next is the completion of the cage, and yes, stepped headers, and a 3.5 inch straight pipe into a borla muffler. Would like to do Motons, or JRZ's as well.