Saturday, August 15, 2009

the essence of Ranting - "BMW, The Ultimate SUV's"



Okay, to say that I'm more than a little bitter over BMW's recent decision to pull the plug on their Formula One effort, close-down Formula BMW America, and continue to build 6000 lbs sport utes with 500 + hp, that can only be driven con brio with the stability control on has taken me over the edge. What ever happened to the Ultimate Driving Machine. What ever happened to BMW poking fun at other companies for pulling this crap?

So as it stands today, here is my prediction, BMW will be out of ALMS by 2011 and likely out of motor racing by 2015.

There is a slight chance that they may end up in, (wait for it) NASCAR in 2012, but I think that they are concerned with Toyota's spend versus results. Maybe the X5 can run in the Craftsman Truck series.

Also Buick is walking away from its relationship with the PGA, and except for the dedicated club racers and HPDE participants, where do you see the majority of BMW today? At the track or parked at the clubhouse?

I hope I am reading this wrong, only time will tell. Agree?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Who is left now that Porsche is being folded into VW? I cant wait for the next VW Golf based Audi TT/Boxster/Cayman. I guess I need to start saving up for that Ferrari now.

Now Toyota is talking about making more sporting cars:
http://forums.motortrend.com/70/7780581/the-general-forum/akio-toyoda-promises-subaru-based-affordable-sport/index.html Maybe they will pick up the slack that BMW is leaving?

thehounder said...

Maybe Nissan will surge back. The new 370Z has sporting intentions, as does the GT-R.

However saving for a Ferrari or maybe a next gen Alfa may not be a bad plan.